Have you ever wanted to know what your grandmother was like as a child? Where your great-grandfather was from? Or how your grandparents met? Below are grandparent interview questions to ask your grandparents (or parents) to learn about their life story and your family history.
Grandparent Interview Questions
- What is your full name?
- When and where were you born?
- Were you named after anyone?
- What was your mother’s name?
- Where was she from?
- What do you know about her family history?
- What was your father’s name?
- Where was he from?
- What do you know about his family history?
- What did your father do for a living?
- Do you know how your parents met?
- Do you have any siblings?
- Where did you grow up?
- How did your family spend time together?
- What schools did you attended?
- What were your favorite subjects?
- How did you spend your free time?
- How would you describe yourself as a child?
- Did you have any summer or after school jobs?
- How did you decide on your career?
- Describe your career.
- How did you meet grandma/grandpa?
- What was your first impression of him/her?
- Describe your wedding.
- List the names and birthdates of your children.
- What would you consider your greatest accomplishment?
I ask well over 100 questions in an interview so be sure to add your own questions to the list. And don’t forget to ask follow-up questions!
For ways to record your grandparent’s stories, visit my post: ‘Recording a Grandparents Stories‘.
Or let us do the work for you! (See below)
~ Legacy Videos ~
Give your parent or grandparent the gift of a lifetime by capturing their life story for your family to know!
Here at Family Tree Video, we produce Legacy Videos, modern-day memoirs that weave a filmed interview with a parent or grandparent together with family photos, documents, maps and other memorabilia. The result is a beautiful “Moving Portrait” capturing your loved one as they recount their life story, family history and memories – a gift your family will treasure for generations to come.
To learn more about giving the gift of a Legacy Video, visit us at FamilyTreeVideo.com.
Family Tree Video LLC
Legacy Video Production
Legacy Video Producer
“There are only two lasting bequests we can give our children.
One is roots, and the other, wings.” — H. S. Carter