Have you ever wanted to know what your mother was like as a child? What your grandfather did for a living? Or how your parents met? Below are Life Story Interview Questions to ask your parents or grandparents to learn more about their life stories and your family history.
I ask over 100 questions in an interview so be sure to add your own questions to the list. And don’t forget to ask follow-up questions!
Life Story Interview Questions
- What is your full name?
- When were you born?
- Where were you born?
- What is/was your father’s/mother’s name?
- Where was he/she from?
- Describe your father/mother.
- What did your father/mother do for work?
- What were your father’s/mother’s parents’ names?
- Where were they were from?
- What did your father’s/mother’s parents do for work?
- Do you know any more about their family history?
- How did your parents meet?
- Do you have any siblings? List names and birthdates.
- Where did you grow up?
- Describe the neighborhood/s.
- What schools did you attend?
- What were your favorite subjects?
- Did you have any chores?
- How did you spend your free time?
- How would you describe yourself as a child?
- What values were important to your parents?
- Did you go college? If so, how did you pay for it?
- Briefly describe your career.
- How did you meet your spouse?
- What was your first impression of him/her?
- Describe your wedding.
- List the names and birthdates of your children.
- What advice would you give your grandchildren on parenting?
- What do you most admire about your spouse?
- What advice would you give your grandchildren on marriage?
For a few more in-depth questions, visit my post: ‘Legacy Video Questions’.
For tips on recording your parents or grandparents sharing their stories, visit my post: ‘Recording. a Grandparent’s Stories’.
Or let us capture your parent or grandparent’s life story for you! (See below)
~ Legacy Videos ~
Give your parent or grandparent the gift of a lifetime by capturing their life story and family history for your family to know!
Here at Family Tree Video we produce Legacy Videos, modern-day memoirs that weave a filmed interview with a parent or grandparent together with family photos, documents, maps and other memorabilia. The result is a beautiful “moving portrait” capturing your loved one as they recount their life story and memories – a gift your family will treasure for generations to come.
To learn more about giving the gift of a Legacy Video, visit us at FamilyTreeVideo.com.
Family Tree Video LLC
Legacy Video Production
Legacy Video Producer